Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Baby Bunnies


There are those moments during the day that I begin to worry about getting stuff done. I go through a mental checklist of all the things I need to do and try to figure out when they will get done. Last Tuesday was no different. I was getting anxious about all the little projects around the house for the week ahead. I went home a little early so I could get to work on the lawn.

I was doing well until I looked down and noticed something move. I had just run over a rabbit’s nest. Expecting the worst, I pulled back the top of the nest. Thankfully, no one was hurt. There were five healthy baby bunnies. Their eyes were barely open and they were all snug in a bundle. I put the nest back together as best as I could and finished the rest of the lawn.

But that night I began to worry. I looked out at the nest and watched for any signs of the mother. I checked the nest to make sure everyone was alright. Everyone was fine, but I wondered if the mother would come back. Would the babies be alright? Would they make it?

These baby bunnies began to occupy my attention. I was always on the lookout for the mother. I checked on the babies two or three times a day. I contemplated bringing them in. Maybe I could feed them. I didn’t know what to do.

Then to make matters worse, hurricane Irene was on its way. I knew they wouldn’t make it. I began to rationalize with myself. That’s the way of the wild. Nature can be cruel. Oh well, they will be food for another hungry creature.

As the rain came, I thought about putting something over them. I even went online to see what I would need to feed them. How will they make it? They will get soaked and cold and they will eventually die. I looked out the window at the nest in the grass and I worried.

The first thing I did after the storm was check on the rabbits. I gently moved the top of the nest back, and there they were, all warm and snug. They looked like they were ready to take on the world. And the next morning they did just that—they were off to conquer life.

It was then that God reminded me of Jesus’ words in Matthew: “Look at the birds of the air [and the rabbits in the field]; they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life?”

Deryk, why do you worry? God will always provide. He always has. He always will.

Photo by Andre Mouraux

No comments:

Post a Comment