Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Settling


Tonight we get the chance to look at the story of Jonah preaching to the Ninevites. We are told that after he preached amazing things happened. The Ninevites completely changed their ways and cried out for mercy to a God they didn’t know.
As I prepare for tonight, I wonder. Do we believe God can do this work again in our very own midst? Do we think God wants to change the lives of the people around us in dramatic ways?
As I reflect on my own life, I detect a pattern. I know God can do these things. I believe He has the power to do anything He wants. But, and this is a big but! I often act as though it won’t happen. Not only that, I notice that I’m not the only one who falls short.
We seem to settle, don’t we? We base our expectations on trends and human points of view. Then we go a step further and rationalize the reasons God doesn’t do this.
Jesus shared these words with His disciples on the last night in John 14:12-14: “Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes in Me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I am going to the Father. Whatever you ask in My Name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask Me anything in My Name, I will do it.”
Jesus says those words. We claim that we believe them. I think we do in our heads. Yet, if we are honest, our actions show otherwise.
It’s easy to see the reasons why. Over the years we have planned on what we can do rather than what God can do. We get scared because we don’t want to be let down. So we don’t expect, because that will be easier on our emotions.
That doesn’t sit right with me. I know that I often live off of human expectations, but I don’t like it. God says we will do greater works. I know He can but am I going to base my expectations on it?
Do I dare to believe? Do I dare to pray like He asks? Am I willing to take a risk? Will I have that faith that God will do things, and then pray like I expect Him to do it?
Or will I settle?

5 comments:

  1. He asks us to pray in His name. Why don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are always to pray in His name. That is a given. Yet, praying in His name is not just a magical formula that we put at the end of our prayers. Praying in His name is praying according to His will. It is praying for things that go along with His character. SO, the question becomes, what is it that He wants us to pray for that we are scared to pray for because it is outside our comfort zone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm.."too often we settle, why?"
    Is it an attempt to minimize conflict, be a "team" player, or in the name of unity. Yet settling is like the splinter ignored, it feels OK today only to grow into a larger problem tomorrow. The same can be said of prayer. If "settle," stay in our comfort zone, asking little, the issue we're praying about today might grow into a larger problem tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with what you are saying about conflict. However, that was not my point here. There are times in our lives that I think we are scared to pray for God to move in miraculous ways because we think He might not answer or it is not in accord with His will. So instead of being bold and praying, knowing that the answer might be no, We choose not to ask and we settle for the ordinary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can see that. While I prefer to bold in my prayers that is not always the case-- I fall down on the job. However, I decided long ago not to be overally concerned with my prayers being in accord with his will, because HE knows far better than I what is his will. So....I ask & let HIM decide.

    ReplyDelete