Thursday, August 9, 2012

Learning to Stop

Photo by David Harrington
As I was running the other day, I realized I was learning a new habit. It has taken time but it's been well worth it.

I love to run. I've been running since I was in junior high. It's my time alone with God and my thoughts as well as a way I love to exercise.

I'm also a creature of routine. I read my Bible in the same place every morning. I don't offer myself many choices for lunch. I choose the times when I want to stray from the path.

On top of that, I'm task oriented. I see what needs to be done and I get focused on that end. When I run, I don't stop. I might slow down but I can't stop, because that would mean I couldn't finish the run. And I refuse to accept that.

These two qualities help me in some ways. But they hurt me in other ways. I don't do well with stopping in life.  I rarely stop and smell the roses. It's hard for me to stop and listen to God.

One day I broke out of the routine. I was running and I allowed myself to stop.
I actually stopped.

Of course, I had to do a lot of convincing of myself to get to that point. I knew it would be better for me, but I was afraid people might see me and think that I couldn't finish my run.

So I stopped. And I saw a stream. I prayed for the living waters of God's Holy Spirit to flow through me like I watched the water flow down the stream.

Ever since that day, I stop at the stream and I pray.

The other day I realized I have come full circle. I have gotten out of the routine and developed a new habit. I don't think I could run by the stream now and not stop and pray.

I wonder where are the other places in my life where God wants me to stop, break the routine and start a new habit. Where are the places God wants to break in and speak into my life?

I might actually have to get out of some more of my routines. I shudder to think of it. But I'm also excited about who God is making me to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment