Wednesday, October 12, 2011

A Bold Kiss


For some reason the other day I walked into the TV room and noticed this picture on the corner shelf. I have seen the picture so many times, but I never really stopped to look again. My first thought was, “What were you thinking?” Then I remembered the actual experience of “kissing the giraffe.” A worker at the reserve in Africa had challenged me to do it and I said sure. I was bold, and I was rewarded with a wonderful experience.

The picture brings back a flood of memories and emotions. I remember that youthful enthusiasm. I used to see a tree and wonder how I was going to climb it. I would see a rock in the middle of the stream and immediately plan my path to get there.

I yearned to go deeper with Jesus and experience greater depths of His love.

Lately though things have changed. I have opted for the safe and the ordinary. I have given into the fear and held back. I have chosen to be on the sidelines, content to watch others make those bold commitments to Jesus.

When was the last time I made a bold move for Jesus? When was the last time I stepped out on the ledge of my faith and let Him catch me? When was the last time I stepped out of the boat and walked on the water?

Oh yes, that time that Peter made the bold move of faith. He saw Jesus out on the water and he wanted to go. The other disciples must have said, “What are you thinking?” I believe Peter gazed at Jesus and thought, wow, this is going to be quite a ride.

When was the last time I made a bold move for Jesus? When was the last time I put that trust in Him?

That is not to say that every bold move we make for Jesus is huge. It’s not every day that we step out on the water or kiss a giraffe. Often those bold acts are everyday acts. Going over to see a neighbor. Giving extra money to support the church. Trusting that God will love me when I share the hurts that I am trying to hide. There are many ways that God calls us to be bold for Jesus.

You know, as proud as I am about making bold moves for Jesus, the experience afterwards gives me greater joy. Jesus always meets us in those bold moments and treats us to something new. He always reveals to us new things when we put that trust in Him. Peter got to walk on water.

No comments:

Post a Comment