Wednesday, November 30, 2011

The Drummer Boy


Sam and I were driving to school on Monday morning when he asked me if we could listen to Christmas music. I put on a song that he hadn’t heard before, but I knew it was one he would like, The Drummer Boy.

Come they told me Pa rum pum pum pum
A new born King to see, Pa rum pum pum pum
Our finest gifts we bring Pa rum pum pum pum
To lay before the King Pa rum pum pum pum
Rum pum pum pum Rum pum pum pum
So to honor Him Pa rum pum pum pum,
When we come.

I listened to the song and first thought of Sam, our little drummer boy. At times one will notice a resemblance to Animal from the Muppets. He bangs away, comes up with good beats and always smiles—he loves to play the drums. He also loves to watch “Mr. Mark,” his teacher and the drummer in Wind. There is always a moment on Sunday afternoon that he tells me all about how Mr. Mark played.

As we listened to the song, Sam asked me to explain it. I got pretty emotional and had to ask for a moment. I love the thought of a drummer boy who gets a chance to see Baby Jesus. I was moved by how the boy realized he was too poor to bring a gift that he thought would fit a King. He then asked if he could play his drum for Him instead.

Little Baby Pa rum pum pum pum
I am a poor boy too, Pa rum pum pum pum
I have no gift to bring Pa rum pum pum pum
That's fit to give our King Pa rum pum pum pum
Rum pum pum pum Rum pum pum pum
Shall I play for you! Pa rum pum pum
On my drum.

I love this image of a boy playing his best for Jesus and giving it all to Him. He is using the gift that God gave Him and playing it back with passion and love so that he could honor the King.

As I explained the song to Sam, I longed for him to understand what it means to play his drum and whatever else God gives him for our King. I yearn for him to be a mighty man who sings and plays His praise with passion and love.

I only hope that I can be an example to Sam of what that looks like in my life. I know the gift I bring is not much, it’s not really fit for a King, but I want to play it with passion and joy for my Savior. I hope Sam enjoys the music he hears, that he would be like the ox and lamb and keep tune. More than that though, I want to play in such a way that Sam and others don’t notice me but see the greatness of Jesus and be inspired to play it all for Him.

Ultimately, I hope my playing produces a smile. It is all for Him that I play, and He deserves all I have.

Mary nodded Pa rum pum pum pum
The ox and lamb kept time Pa rum pum pum pum
I played my drum for Him Pa rum pum pum
I played my best for Him Pa rum pum pum pum
Rum pum pum pum Rum pum pum pum
Then He smiled at me Pa rum pum pum pum
Me and my drum.

Photo by Alec Couros

1 comment:

  1. One of my favorite Christmas carols. Thanks for the motivation and reminder to always strive to play our best for Jesus, giving it all to Him. I'm smiling (Pa rum pum pum pum).

    ReplyDelete