Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Who's Driving?


What is it that drives you? What is it that gets you out of bed in the morning to start the day? When things are not going well, what is that motivating force that gets you up off the mat?

The things that drive us are sometimes hard to figure out. We all have drivers in our life that motivate us towards our life goals. For some it might be the desire for success or another form of achievement. Others will do things because they are looking for acceptance. Others just want to please people.

Drivers are those things that motivate us in life. They are the cogs in our lives that just keep cranking and move us ahead. Ideally these drivers help us go after our life goal. They are the force that pushes us toward where we want to go.

Do you know what drives you? Is it a driver that moves you to your goal?

Scripture tells us of a few drivers that God has given us in life. One of them is the fear of God. This driver pushes people to obedience and awe, which helps them live the God-life. Others might be motivated by biblical rewards. They see the treasure that God has in store for them if they follow through on their commitments to God.

The driver that motivates me is also one that is found in Scripture--desire of God. I always want more of God in my life. I long to be with Jesus and be like Him. I wish this driver would always work at a feverish pitch. Sometimes I find myself further away from God than I would like. I have to do the work to grease the cog and crank it up again. But this is always good work because this driver is a powerful motivator. It pushes me toward my goal of being a disciple who makes disciples. It drives me to worship God. It propels me forward to where God wants me to be.

What is your driver? What is that motivating force that propels you to your life goal?

Photo by Leo Reynolds.

No comments:

Post a Comment