Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Life Goals


What is your goal in life? If you had a mission statement that guided your life, what would it be?

Everybody has some sort of purpose in their life. They might not be able to name it but when you take a closer look at their actions, it comes out. Some people live their life for an achievement. Others just want to have fun. Some try to do the minimum to get by while others do more but only look after their own interests. Everyone has some aim in their life that guides them, whether they know it or not.

Do you know what your goal is in life? Could you name that underlying purpose that guides all that you do? Have you ever taken the time to sit down and really think about why you do what you do?

More importantly, how does your goal align with what the Bible teaches? Is your goal in life to glorify God by enjoying Him forever (see last week’s blog post)?

I have personally wrestled with these questions over the last few years. I have spent a lot of time examining my life to try to determine what my goal is. I have looked at my actions and tried to figure out if they are aligned with what I think my goal is.

My goal is to worship God by being a disciple who makes disciples. Another way I put that is that I want to know Jesus and be like Jesus.

I am always trying to redefine my life around that. I set goals that will help me to live more like this in my life. I look ahead and try to find ways I can be more like Jesus. I am pushing myself to know Him more. I try to structure my life to accomplish this goal that I believe Jesus wants me to follow, because that’s what He wants for me as well.

Photo by Charlie Bird.

No comments:

Post a Comment