Wednesday, March 28, 2012

A Life-giving Fragrance

Right by my computer, in the window is a gardenia, and it is in bloom. Its scent is powerful, exquisite. It fills up the room. Granted, it is not as good as fresh cookies coming out of the oven, but it really is wonderful.

Scents can do wonderful things, can’t they? They can bring back memories. They can draw you closer to a place, like the smell of fresh bread. Or they can repel you like the smell of rotten seafood stuck in a trash can in the middle of the summer.

The scent of the gardenia draws me in. It brings up a thought, a thought based on a verse in 2 Corinthians 2:14-16:

But thanks be to God, who in Christ always leads us in triumphal procession, and through us spreads the fragrance of the knowledge of Him everywhere. For we are the aroma of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing, to one a fragrance from death to death, to the other a fragrance from life to life.

My thought is simply this: How do I smell? Do I give off a strong fragrance of Christ? Does my life offer the scent of Jesus? Does it lead others to life?

I want my life to be a pleasing fragrance. I want others to see Christ in me. I want my Christlike scent to draw others in.

No comments:

Post a Comment