Thursday, October 11, 2012

God-colors


Parents will understand the wonderful dilemma that my wife and I have. Our boys have been given different gifts than us. God has a wonderful sense of humor when he gives a Dad with no musical talent a boy with much musical talent. My role is to encourage our children to live out of their gifts and strengths. I don’t want them to be me (I can hear the “amens” now) but to be exactly who God made them to be.
The same is true when we disciple someone. As disciples, we are given the awesome privilege of not only being an example but a spiritual parent to the person we are discipling.
Our goal is to help that person find out God’s workmanship in his or her life. We are also to help them grow in the desire to be with Jesus and be like Him. Finally, it is to help them live out God’s destiny for their lives.
A verse that helps me understand my role in discipleship is The Message’s translation of Matthew 5:14, which reads, “You’re here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world.”
My role is to be like Christ and let His light shine in my life and through my life so that people can see God’s handiwork, God’s colors all around them. When I disciple my children or others that means helping them to see the colors. I also want to do all I can to bring out the vibrancy of those colors in their life so that they can shine the brightest color that God has made them to be. Often that means their color might be different than mine, for God has created each of us uniquely.
Do you know what the God-colors are in your life? Do you recognize the God-colors in those you are discipling?

No comments:

Post a Comment