Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Standing on the Promises

Photo by derwiki
All of us want to be powerful prayers. By that I mean, we don’t want to be those who just pray with intensity and desire, ultimately we want our prayers answered. A powerful prayer is someone who prays and God answers.

Nehemiah was a powerful prayer. His prayer in chapter 1 of Nehemiah is answered by God in chapter 2 in amazing ways.


What did he do that we can learn from? He stood on the promises of God.


Nehemiah knew that God would be faithful to His promises. He took those promises to heart, obeyed them, and prayed them back to God. He knew that God had promised to bless His people if they returned to Him. Nehemiah lived out that promise and prayed it to God in Nehemiah 1:8-9:


Remember the word that you commanded your servant Moses, saying, “If you are unfaithful, I will scatter you among the peoples, but if you return to me and keep my commandments and do them, though your outcasts are in the uttermost parts of heaven, from there I will gather them and bring them to the place that I have chosen, to make my name dwell there.”


Nehemiah knew that God delights in being faithful to His promises. God has a great desire to bless all of us in the same way. He wants to do what He promised. 


For us that means learning the promises of God, living out our part of the promises and praying them back before God.


You want answered prayer? Stand on the promises of God.


I can’t help but end with those words many of us have sung:


Standing, standing,
Standing on the promises of God my Savior;
Standing, standing,
I’m standing on the promises of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment