Friday, September 27, 2013

Light in the Midst of the Darkness


I love this image. It is the image we use on Facebook to signify the Sunday Night Service. I love the light of the cross against a dark background. It reminds me of Psalm 134:1,
Come, bless the Lord, all you servants of the Lord,
who stand by night in the house of the Lord!
This morning when I prayed through Ken Boa’s book, Face to Face, I came across his statement of closing prayer based on Colossians 1:12-14,
Father, You have qualified me to share in the inheritance of the saints in the light. For You have rescued me from the dominion of darkness and brought me into the kingdom of Your beloved Son, in whom I have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.
The image of the cross reminds me of what Jesus has done. We have been rescued out of the darkness into the light. We were captives and we have been set free. Thank You Jesus for Your life-giving work.
How do we live as a thankful people in regard to this? Once again, the image helps me.
The image reminds me to pray for victims along the Berlin Turnpike and other places around the world, who are being sexually trafficked against their will. I can think of no darker, more hopeless world. I can’t even begin to imagine what these young women and men suffer through.
How can we be the light of Christ in this dark world? How is God calling us to do our part in setting the captives free? How can we be that rescued-from-darkness, thankful people who pray for the others that God wants to rescue as well? Are we willing to be light in this darkness and be broken by the things that surely break God’s heart?
I believe that God has called us to a time just like this. We are called to be light in this world. I know He wants to continue the work He did in us and set other captives free so that they can join us and bless the Lord as they stand by night in the house of the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment