Friday, June 6, 2014

New

Photo by Tony Alter
A few weeks ago I went on retreat so that I could spend some quality time with God. Around mid-morning I went for a walk outside with God. The prayer on my heart was simple: Lord, I am here and I am listening…what would You most like to show me?
As usual, God spoke.
I was walking on a piece of property that was owned by the town as open space. It was glorious, full of life. I was reminded of David’s words in Psalm 19 when he was reflecting on God’s creation: “God’s glory is on tour in the skies, God-craft on exhibit across the horizon” (Psalm 19:1, The Message).
Walking through the property, I learned that it was, for a time, someone’s residence (the house burned down in the early ’90s) and before that it was a farm in the early 1900s.
As I looked at the foundation of the old barn, I heard God say to me: I am making all things new.
Then, He spoke again, as to how He could do it.
As I was walking back through the woods, I noticed a Japanese maple that was starting to grow. There were no other Japanese maples in the area. Somehow, someway, God planted a seed and it’s growing.
I was drawn to Isaiah 43:19-21, “Behold, I am doing a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? I will make a way in the wilderness, rivers in the desert, to give drink to My chosen people, the people whom I formed for myself that they might declare my praise.”
I am making all things new.
Well, here I am, Lord, do Your new work in me and through me. Let Your Kingdom come.

No comments:

Post a Comment