Thursday, May 31, 2012

Barnabas

The view from a church plant in Peru

When I observed the church in Peru, I couldn’t help but be encouraged by their faith. Their willingness and commitment to follow Christ in extraordinary circumstances are phenomenal. We can learn a lot from their faith.
As I thought about them, I thought about a man named Joseph. Joseph seemed to encourage everyone he met through his life and his words. Later, people renamed him Barnabas, which means “son of encouragement.”
A few years later, Barnabas befriended Paul. He saw something in Paul and mentored him. It seems obvious from Paul’s life that Barnabas did a great job.
Barnabas also gave Paul something else. He gave him himself. He showed Paul his life, and Paul imitated him. One day Barnabas and Paul were at the church in Antioch. The church asked them for a word of encouragement. We might expect that Barnabas the encourager would speak, but it was Paul who encouraged them (Acts 13:15-16). Barnabas had truly passed on what he had learned.
I was encouraged by the church in Peru. They were like Barnabas. My hope is that I can imitate their life and mentor others to encourage as well.

1 comment:

  1. It is the duty of every Christian to mentor and encourage other Christians- particularly newer ones! :) We should all be Bar- or Bat-Nabas!

    ReplyDelete