Friday, March 29, 2013

Abandoned and Alone


More and more, I am aware of my need for others. I need others to help me not only get by, but to move forward in every aspect of my life.
For that reason and countless more, I am in awe of Jesus on this Good Friday. I continue to be overwhelmed by His willingness to love, obey and glorify His Father by going to the cross to save us.
Last night we sang a hymn, When My Love to God Grows Weak. The writer has us walking in the Garden of Gethsemane, and there we
see that suffering friendless one
weeping, praying there
ALONE.
Jesus was alone, everyone had left Him. He was now friendless. Zechariah’s prophecy was right when he wrote in 13:7, “Strike the shepherd, and the sheep will be scattered.” The disciples had run off for fear and Jesus was now alone.
I don’t think Jesus wanted it this way. He was hoping the disciples would stand with Him in the Garden of Gethsemane…but they didn’t.
He had to face it alone. He went forward and faced not only the suffering but the agony of everyone leaving him.
I don’t know how He did it, but thank God He did. Jesus kept going in spite of the fact that they all had deserted Him. Companionless, he faced all of the religious leaders in the mock trial and endured their venomous attacks. Later he faced a whole battalion of soldiers who beat Him with whips and rods, anything they could use to humiliate and mock Him.
And then, the ultimate, the hardest of them all, on the cross His Father left him. For the first time, His Father was not there. And thus He cried, “My God, My God, why have you forsaken Me?!” His Father had to abandon Him. He had to do what must have been agonizing. He had to pour out all His wrath on His beloved Son.
Deserted. Forsaken. Abandoned. He suffered it all for you and for me.
I am humbled beyond words.
And yet…It is for this reason that He alone receives all the glory and honor all of us. He alone has not only a company of angel surrounding Him, He has all of His people there to give Him all the praise.

No comments:

Post a Comment